In this installment of Civil Discourse, creator and host Jamie Newton interviewed Senator Martin Heinrich (D-NM) on 14 November 2018 following the midterm elections.
This short interview covered two major topics:
- Democratic values and institutions, and secure elections… How fares the republic?
Jamie asked Senator Heinrich to reflect on the 2018 midterm election processes and outcomes, the contentious political climate, and the prospects of bipartisan cooperation.
- U.S.-Mexico border issues, including militarization of the border and policies to promote justice for immigrant refugees and asylum seekers
The context of this question was deployment of thousands of U.S. military personnel to the border with Mexico, movement toward the border by armed volunteer militia, a new practice by Immigration and Customs Enforcement of simply dumping destitute, undocumented immigrants on U.S. streets when detention centers reach capacity, and the approach of the “Honduran caravan.”
The interview with Senator Heinrich was broadcast on Friday 30 November 2018.
It will be rebroadcast on…
- Sunday / 2 December 2018 / 11:03 am
- Monday / 3 December 2018 / 11am
- Sunday / 9 December 2018 / 6:15pm
- Monday 10 December 2018 / 6:15pm
Or listen at your convenience via the following link…