Earth Matters co-host Nathan Newcomer – Silver City Grassroots Organizer for
NM Wilderness Alliance – interviews Grant County resident and activist, Nick Sussillo – Lead Organizer for the Youth & Climate Justice event on October 14th in Silver City. The event is sponsored by the Silver City Chapter of the People’s Climate Movement.
The PCM / Peoples’ Climate Movement formed out of the September 2014 Peoples’ Climate March of 400,000 participants, organized by Bill McKibben and 350.org. Hundreds of organizations participated in the march.
PCM calls for bold action on climate at the local, national and global levels, addressing not only environmental issues, but also social and economic justice issues as those who are more vulnerable may feel the effects of climate disruption the most.
The Silver City, NM area events are open to the general public and include:
- Tours and educational sessions, with a local band, to be held at The Volunteer Center, 501 East 13th Street
- The Office of Sustainability, 1106 Pope Street, 1:30 – 3:45
- Finger food, videos/student panel and a one hour event with senior officials, students, activists and general public, all at Light Hall, WNMU, 4 – 7:30pm
- Activities during the one hour event – 6:30 – 7:30pm- with senior officials and the public include…
- Acknowledging and thanking the local jurisdictions and WNMU for what they have done for local sustainability
- Young voices speaking to the future they see and the direction they want to go in
Along with presenting a petition and 3 “Asks”
- A proposal to move forward together in partnership (County jurisdictions, WNMU, Aldo Leopold and other schools, and activists)
- Building on what has been accomplished – large scale solar deployment, energy efficiency, water conservation, food security, protecting our natural home through protection of the Gila River, etc.
Please note that beginning in September 2015, Earth Matters will be broadcast
Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday at 10am and Thursday at 8pm.
The program is currently in production and when it is available you can listen at your convenience via the link below.
Earth Matters / Youth & Climate Justice