Earth Matters co-producer and GRIP executive director Allyson Siwik interviews Center for Biological Diversity co-founder and Executive Director Kieran Suckling and NM Wildlife Federation Executive Director Garrett VeneKlasen about January’s armed standoff at the Malheur Wildlife Refuge in Burns, Oregon.
The takeover has raised the profile of right-wing, anti-government fringe groups and their increasingly violent actions related to public lands management issues. On January 23 at a protest at the Refuge, a Grant Co rancher renounced his Gila National Forest grazing permit for his 30,000-acre ranch located just north of Silver City. Should we be concerned about violence and intimidation being used by groups to push their public lands agendas here in Southwest New Mexico? What can we do to prevent violence here in Grant County?
To engage in this dialogue, please join
Gila Resources Information Project &
Gila / Mimbres Community Radio for a
Opposing Violent Means to Political Ends…
Will Silver City be the next Burns, Oregon?
WNMU / Global Resource Center
Tuesday / 16 February 2016 / 7 – 9 pm
- Jamie Newton / Host of Civil Discourse and GMCR board member
- Jason Amaro / NM Wildlife Federation board member
- Linda Brewer / Bear Mountain Lodge
- Cissy McAndrew / Silver City Tour
- Kierán Suckling / Center for Biological Diversity
- Raul Villanueva / Grant County Sheriff
- Showdown in Burns – coverage by the Oregonian –
http://topics.oregonlive.com/tag/showdown%20in%20burns/ (http://topics NULL.oregonlive NULL.com/tag/showdown%20in%20burns/)
- Why LaVoy Finicum spurned the government, E&E Reporter
http://www.eenews.net/stories/1060031902 (http://www NULL.eenews NULL.net/stories/1060031902)
- Sewell Renunciation Letter
- Harney County Officials React to Occupation’s End
http://www.opb.org/news/series/burns-oregon-standoff-bundy-militia-news-updates/community-reactions-malheur-refuge-occupation-end/ (http://www NULL.opb NULL.org/news/series/burns-oregon-standoff-bundy-militia-news-updates/community-reactions-malheur-refuge-occupation-end/)
Earth Matters is broadcast
Tuesday, Thursday & Sunday at 10am and Thursday at 8pm.
Or you can listen at your convenience via this link…
Earth Matters / Sagebrush II – Malheur