In an election cycle in which the course of the nation could be radically altered at the federal level, no less an upheaval might also occur in Grant County where its commission enlarged itself from 3 to 5 members and three of these seats are on the ballot. A slate of three Democrats under the PVA / Progressive Voters Alliance banner swept the primary with victories in all three districts.
Their three republican opponents all ran in the primary unopposed suggesting that they appear on the November ballot by a “selection” process rather than election, one of these being a turncoat former Democrat. Given the apparent surge in Republican activity in Grant County in the last couple of elections after many previous elections in which they rarely contested the well established Democrats, and noting their much more aggressive posture, it raises the thought that national Republican operatives, strategists, money, and resources may be backing and bankrolling their campaigns – directly or indirectly.
A forum took place on 25 August 2016 in the Miller Library of WNMU titled Debating the Future Direction Of Grant County as part of the ongoing series of forums held monthly on various issues and sponsored by the Democratic Party, WNMU, and on-campus cultural organization, MEChA / Movimento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan.
The candidates are…
- District 3 – Alicia Edwards (D)
- District 3 – Henry Torres (R)
- District 4 – Gerald Billings (R)
- District 4 –Marilyn Alcorn (D)
- District 5 -Deann Bencomo – write-in
- District 5 –Harry Browne (D)
- District 5 –Harry Pecotte (R)
Our search found websites for most of the candidates via the links above.
These articles were published following the forum
- Silver City Daily Press / 27 August 2016
- Grant County Beat / 27 August 2016
- Silver City Sun-News / 28 August 2016
The Grant County Commission Candidate Forum at WNMU Miller Library will be broadcast on the following days and times…
- Monday 26 September 2016 / 8am
- Tuesday 27 September 2016 / 6pm
- Friday 30 September 2016 / 8am
Or listen at your convenience via these links…