As we begin our efforts to bring Community Radio to southwestern New Mexico, we are greatly encouraged by the pioneering and continuing efforts of thousands that have preceded GMCR.
We’ve begun a page with background information, core documents and current articles on community media. Click here to view that info.
This page contains many resources that we have found useful and you may find interesting. We include, of course, many Community Radio stations but also include college, NPR, and other stations that present alternatives to mainstream commercial radio. There are also links to many of the organizations that support and nurture Community Radio and a range of related issues.
This is an ongoing effort and we will be adding many more resources. If you have suggestions for others we missed, please do send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org (email null@null gmcr NULL.org) with a working URL!
Community Radio Stations
- KMUN (http://www NULL.kmun NULL.org/) – Astoria, OR
- KBOO (http://www NULL.kboo NULL.org/) – Portland, OR
- KWMR (http://www NULL.kwmr NULL.org/) – Marin, CA
- KFCF (http://www NULL.kfcf NULL.org/) – Fresno, CA
- KXCI (http://www NULL.kxci NULL.org/) – Tucson, AZ
- KRCL (http://www NULL.krcl NULL.org/) – Salt Lake City, UT
- KBUT (http://www NULL.kbut NULL.org/) – Crested Butte, CO
- KGNU (http://www NULL.kgnu NULL.org/) – Boulder, CO
- KOTO (http://koto NULL.org/) – Telluride, CO
- KVNF (http://www NULL.kvnf NULL.org/) – Paonia, CO
- KSFR (http://ksfr NULL.org/) – Santa Fe, NM
- KEOS (http://www NULL.keos NULL.org/shtml/index NULL.shtml) – College Station, TX
- WOMR (http://www NULL.womr NULL.org/) – Provincetown, MA
- WCUW (http://www NULL.wcuw NULL.org/) – Worcester, MA
- WERU (http://weru NULL.org/) – East Orland, ME
The Pacifica Network
Structured a bit differently than independent community radio stations as they have a national board. A major force in the Community Radio world and a strong voice for alternative and progressive media.
- KPFA (http://www NULL.kpfa NULL.org/) – Pacifica – Berkeley, CA
- KPFK (http://www NULL.kpfk NULL.org/) – Pacifica – Los Angeles, CA
- KPFT (http://www NULL.kpft NULL.org/) – Pacifica – Houston, TX
- WBAI (http://www NULL.wbai NULL.org/) – Pacifica – New York, NY
- WPFW (http://www NULL.wpfw NULL.org/) -Pacifica – Washington, DC
- KUNM (http://www NULL.kunm NULL.org/) – UNM Albuquerque, NM
- KRUX (http://www NULL.kruxradio NULL.com/) – NMSU Las Cruces
- KRWG (http://www NULL.krwgfm NULL.org/) – NMSU Las Cruces
- KCRW (http://www NULL.kcrw NULL.org/) – SMCC Santa Monica, CA
- Alternative Radio
(http://www NULL.alternativeradio NULL.org/)David Barsamian brings Audio Energy for Democracy!
(http://capaciteria NULL.org/)A comprehensive, searchable database directory of administrative resources that help nonprofits leverage their own capacity
- Cultural Energy
(http://www NULL.culturalenergy NULL.org/)Serving Taos & Northern New Mexico Creating Media Voices for Youth, Arts & Activism
- Free Press
(http://www NULL.freepress NULL.net/)Free Press is a nonpartisan organization working to involve the public in media policymaking and to craft policies for more democratic media
- LPFM Database
(http://www NULL.angelfire NULL.com/nj2/piratejim/lpfm NULL.html)Listings of existing Low Power FM stations
- NFCB / National Federation of Community Broadcasters (http://www NULL.nfcb NULL.org/)
A national membership organization of community-oriented, non-commercial radio stations
- Prometheus Radio Project
(http://www NULL.prometheusradio NULL.org/)A microradio resource center offering legal, technical, and organizational support for non-commercial community broadcasters
- U:SA / University:Station Alliance (http://www NULL.us-alliance NULL.org/)
Building strategic alliances, sharing resources, editorial integrity, benchmarking, and governance for college radio
- US FM Low Power Radio Stations
(http://www NULL.csgnetwork NULL.com/lpfmradiotable NULL.html)Another LPFM listing site
- The Ford Foundation
(http://www NULL.fordfoundation NULL.org/Grants)Guidelines for Grant Seekers
- New Voices
(http://www NULL.j-newvoices NULL.org/)New Voices is a pioneering program to seed innovative community news ventures in the United States.
- Journalists of Color
(http://www NULL.unityjournalists NULL.org/)The Alliance of AAJA / NABJ / NAHJ / NAJA
- AAJA / Asian American Journalists Assoc (http://aaja NULL.org/)
To work for fair and accurate coverage of Asian American and Pacific Islanders
- NABJ / Nat’l Assoc of Black Journalists
(http://www NULL.nabj NULL.org/)From the NABJ mission…
“Strengthening ties among black journalists and sensitizing all media to the importance of fairness in the workplace for black journalists.”
- NAHJ / Nat’l Assoc of Hispanic Journalists
(http://www NULL.nahj NULL.org/)Dedicated to the recognition and professional advancement of Hispanics in the news industry
- NAJA / Native American Journalists Association
(http://naja NULL.com/)…serves and empowers Native journalists through programs and actions designed to enrich journalism and promote Native cultures
- FCC – Federal Communications Commission (http://fcc NULL.gov)
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is an independent United States government agency established by the Communications Act of 1934. It is charged with regulating interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable. The FCC’s jurisdiction covers the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and US possessions.
- NTIA – National Telecommunications and Information Administration (http://www NULL.ntia NULL.doc NULL.gov/)
The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) is the President’s principal adviser on telecommunications and information policy issues, and in this role frequently works with other Executive Branch agencies to develop and present the Administration’s position on these issues.
- CPB – Corporation for Public Broadcasting (http://www NULL.cpb NULL.org/)
The Corporation for Public Broadcasting is a private, nonprofit corporation created by Congress in 1967. The mission of CPB is to facilitate the development of, and ensure universal access to, non-commercial high-quality programming and telecommunications services.