Welcome to Civil Discourse, hosted by retired San Francisco State University social psychology professor and GMCR board chair, Jamie Newton
In keeping with GMCR & KURU’s support of democratic and electoral process, Civil Discourse presents a Candidate Roundtable for Grant County Commission. The live broadcast occurred on Wednesday 12 October 2016.
The candidates for the 3 seats are…
- District 3 – Alicia Edwards (D)
- District 3 – Henry Torres (R)
- District 4 – Gerald Billings (R)
- District 4 –Marilyn Alcorn (D)
- District 5 -Deann Bencomo – write-in
- District 5 –Harry Browne (D)
- District 5 –Harry Pecotte (R)
Alicia Edwards, Henry Torres, Marilyn Alcorn & Harry Browne participated.
Jamie attempted to include all candidates in this Roundtable.
Billy Billings, Republican candidate in District 4, had a previous campaign commitment. Harry Pecotte, Republican candidate in District 5, said he was not available.
Deann Bencomo, the Democratic write-in candidate in District 5, initially planned to participate but discovered shortly before the Roundtable that she would need to be out of town.
In addition to opening and closing statements, candidates were invited to respond to questions on a series of topics, including…
- The candidate’s top priorities, if elected
- The proper role of Commissioners in the management of Grant County Government
- Cooperation across political divisions
- Gila Regional Medical Center – County Government’s appropriate role, and the proposed tax increase
These articles were published following the WNMU Grant County Commission Candidate Forum of 25 August 2016
- Silver City Daily Press / 27 August 2016
- Grant County Beat / 27 August 2016
- Silver City Sun-News / 28 August 2016
The Candidate Roundtable for Grant County Commission was broadcast live on 12 October 2016 / 5pm. Additional dates and times for rebroadcast follow…
- Monday 12 October 2016 / 5pm – Live Broadcast
- Monday 17 October 2016 / 10am
- Wednesday 19 October 2016 / 5pm
- Monday 24 October 2016 / 10am
- Sunday 30 October 2016 / 11am
Or listen at your convenience via the following link.