Welcome to Civil Discourse, hosted by retired San Francisco State University social psychology professor and GMCR board chair, Jamie Newton.
In keeping with GMCR & KURU’s support of democratic and electoral process, Civil Discourse presents a Roundtable for Candidates to the Silver & Cobre Consolidated School Districts. The live broadcast occurred on Wednesday 25 January 2017. in the studio of Gila / Mimbres Community Radio and KURU 89.1 FM.
While both school districts had three seats on the ballot, only one seat in each district was contested. Silver City Daily Press presented separate candidate forums for both Silver City & Cobre which included all candidates and which GMCR / KURU recorded and presented. Visit the preceding links for podcasts of those forums.
Having provided that coverage – and with limited time and resources – we elected to invite only the candidates for the contested seats in the two districts and presented the same questions to these candidates in a single program.
Topics covered in the roundtable included:
- How to address budget issues and promote fiscal responsibility
- Resources and infrastructure to support teaching and learning, and appropriate uses of information technology (considering testing vs. learning)
- How to guarantee a supportive workplace culture for both teaching and nonteaching staff, with fair procedures for evaluation, retention, and promotion
- Steps toward a secure educational environment for all, respecting diversity among students and staff
- Transparency and accountability.
The Silver & Cobre Schools Candidate Roundtable was broadcast live on Wednesday 25 January 2017 and rebroadcast on
- Saturday 28 January 2017 / 7pm
- Sunday 29 January 2017 / 11am
- Additional dates / times TBA / Check back!
Or listen at your convenience via the following link.